Cowboy Shepherd’s Pie
- 4 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 poblano pepper (or jalapeno) *diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- ¾ cup beef broth
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash.
- Mix in butter and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and cook until almost tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C.)
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion, pepper, and ground beef and cook until well browned. Pour off excess fat, then stir in carrots,peas, and corn.
- Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add ketchup and beef broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread the ground beef mixture in an even layer on the bottom of a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Top with the mashed potato mixture and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!