Cowboy Breakfast Burrito
This breakfast burrito is sure to spark some taste buds you didn't think you had!! With a richness to the eggs with the mayonnaise all the way to the bell peppers and sausage filled inside!
- 1 Cast Iron Skillet
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Hashbrowns
- 1 Pound Ground Sausage
- 1/2 Pound Bacon We used Fresh Pork Belly from the farm
- 1/2 Large bell pepper I used Yellow, but any color would be great
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- 5 Large eggs
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- Salt and Pepper
- 6-8 10-Inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups Shredded cheddar Cheese
- Salsa Verde (See Recipe Below)
Salsa Verde Ingredients
- 1 Cup Store-bought Salsa verde
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 tsp Lime Juice
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Liquid Smoke
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add your hash browns and cook until lightly tender and browned. Roughly 8-10 minutes. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon and set on a paper towel to drain.
- In the same skillet, add your sausage and cook over medium-high heat. Once your sausage begins to brown, add your onions and bell peppers and cook until the meat has fully cooked and your vegetables are tender. Remove the sausage mixture and drain.
- In a bowl, whisk together your eggs and mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add your bacon or pork belly to the skillet and cook to your liking. We cooked ours until it was just starting to get crispy. Set the bacon to the side and reserve the bacon grease for a later use.
- Add your potatoes back to the skillet and add the egg mixture. Reduce to medium heat. Cook until your eggs are cooked through.
- Layer your burritos however you may like. I always add the salsa verde and cheese first. Then your egg mixture with the sausage mixture on top. Add a slice of bacon and roll that thing up!!
- Once you have assembled all of your burritos, add about a teaspoon of your bacon grease back to your skillet and brown the burritos on each side. This will really help that burrito to stay together. You can also reserve the salsa verde and pour it over the top or even use as a dipping sauce!
Salsa Verde Instructions
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl. You can serve this at room temperature or as cold. I always make it the night before and it can be stored, covered in the fridge for up to 1 week!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!